Thursday, March 14, 2013

One Year

Dave and I celebrated our first anniversary of being together. I cannot believe how fast the past year has flown by! I am so in love. I know it is cheesy to say, but it just keeps getting better. It is wonderful how silly and playful we continue to be, but I think we are also a great team that gets things done. I'm so excited for what lies around the corner for us. I feel so lucky to have him, and it's amazing to think he feels lucky to have me too.

Our anniversary is technically leap day, but since this is not a leap year, we celebrated on February 28th. He surprised me first thing in the morning at work by delivering me a box, yes an entire box, of pastries from Saint Honore. Yum! I thought it was especially sweet since he was off that morning, and came all the way downtown just to bring me goodies for my morning.

In the evening after work, I got ready at my apartment. I found myself having butterflies all over again. I wore a new navy lacy dress, black tights and heels. I even dolled up and put on make-up which I don't do so frequently these days. He picked me up sporting a mustache. He wears one every March, and as March approached us this year, I think I was more excited than he was. He asked me once why I was so excited, and I explained to him that it reminded me of when we first started dating. He waiting until after our first date to trim his beard away into a mustache last year, but showing up this year wearing one definitely made me smile. We exchanged gifts and cards in the car. I felt spoiled and loved all over again. His card was the best. :) We headed to Teardrop Lounge to kick off the evening. It is easily my favorite bar in town for cocktail perfection.


After drinks we went to Paley's Place for dinner. It was Dave's first time there, and I'm so happy I finally got to check that off our couple to-do list. We started with beef tartar, and their delectable escargot with bone marrow and bordelaise. For our entrees we shared sweetbreads and ham, sides of beets and brussel sprouts. Everything was amazing, and it was very nice to just relax with my honey. I love, love, love, that we are a couple that can cook wonderful meals for ourselves at home, and I'm proud of us for using our skills and going out so little, but I really savored the glamorous evening out at Paley's.

Speaking of meals in, Dave has been cooking for me as much these days as I cook for him. He has been taking full advantage of having a smoker. His smoked chickens are quite the treat. He's made smoked brussel sprouts a couple of times too, which tossed in a little olive oil, are such a delicious finger food snack. :) He recently made pizza from scratch, even hand making the dough. I always cheat and use my kitchen-aid, but he did it all on his own. His crust was super good and flaky too, allegedly from the everclear he sneaked in there.

I try to still do my part, but I don't think I can compete with the level of amazing that is smoked chicken! A couple of weeks ago we had eggplant tomato soup that was a healthy, warm, delicious treat. The best part was the eggplants were free! I will definitely be repeating that recipe next winter, maybe summer

On Sunday evening I made a clam tomato sauce. Dave helped me make pasta, and we whipped out quite the feast. I had not eaten clams since Southpark.
On another note, I cut my hair! I love it so far.

I am so excited for the years to come. There is so much to look forward to with Dave. I'm moving into Dave and Sass's place near the end of April. It will be great to have all my things where I spend most of my time.:) We also have a trip to Mexico to look forward to and save for right before our second anniversary. Hopefully there will also be another trip to the east coast within the year as well. Dave still has half of my family to meet too. Plus there are so many dishes to cook, and restaurants to try together. We do get to check off one ”first” this weekend, our first race together. The Shamrock Run and St. Patrick's Day are both Sunday. I'm not as prepared for the run as I would like to be, but I know I can get it done. I'm proud and thankful Dave is attempting it with me. I'm excited for the after party with some of my favorite people. Corned beef brisket, anyone?

1 comment:

Nikki.O said...

:) I love that you are so HAPPY! Yay for you two!